Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Ben's Chinese and Vietnamese Restaurant

I've written about this before, it's quite hard for us glutards to eat at Chinese restaurants because I feel like they don't understand the importance of allergies or they just don't understand what you are saying. Like that time in I asked at a Chinese take-out if they had anything that didn't have wheat in it, and she said "yeah, the dumplings ok... they have no wheat, they are made from flour."... ahhhhhhhhh no?!?!?!.

My friend had a Halloween party on Friday night at Ben's Chinese and Vietnamese Restaurant. I had been there numerous times B.G (before glutard) so I wasn't so much excited about the food (see blurb above) more so than the fact that its BYO and they have karaoke.

Anyway folks, I have found a safe haven for glutards who want their Asian fix (and not just in food, but karaoke). Ben's offers a full (2 page!) gluten free menu.... errrrmygod.

With all that excitement, I ordered way too much from that menu! We shared the San Choi Bao ($18.90), Prawn Fried Rice ($10.90) and Vegetables Almond & Cashew  ($15.90)!

San Chow Wow


The San Choi Bao (which I haven't had B.G.) had heaps of filling of beef, as opposed to the usual pork and although GF still had a bit crunch from the rice noodles. Prawn fried rice was pretty standard (but I needed some filler from all the wine drinking!).

The hero though was the almond and cashew vegetables. All kinds of vegies too... Broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, bok choy, zucchini etc etc in that lovely thick broth with garlic... could have eaten that and that only.

Bonus... I checked against the non G-F prices, and they are the same!! No extra charges for being Gluten Free!!!

Oh My G-free rating – 7/10

Ben's Vietnamese & Chinese on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment