Wednesday, October 29, 2014

South Side Diner

I like to keep up with fads, I am what you would call a "Fadist". One fad going around at the moment is the whole American diner movement, which is usually laden with glutinous and gluten-ous foods (think burgers and fries, pumpkin pie and milk shakes). I thought I would test out South Side Diner  and see if they would be Glutard friendly. 

Unfortunately all the good stuff like corn dogs, buffalo wings, ruben sandwiches were not GF. They only had 4 things on the menu that were GF... all from the mains section (all quite expensive). So whilst the others snacked on Mac n' Cheese ($13), I had to order one of the most expensive things on the menu....
Not so crackling
I ordered slow cooked pork belly, with green onion crushed potatoes, salted pork scratchies and apple sauce ($28.5). The pork was a bit too fatty and the crackling was not crackling. The apple sauce was too rich, it was missing something to cut the richness (read: fat), like sauerkraut, but then that would be German food right?

Anyway, one saving grace was the Grape Cider we came across... Miss Molly Grape Cider.  Here I was thinking, wouldn't this just taste like sparkling wine.... NO. It tasted like white grape Grapetiser.... it's sooo damn crisp and mouth wateringly juicy. I felt like I was just drinking juice. Now I need to find out where to buy this liquid gold! 

Anyway, if I do come back its for the cider not for the food!

Oh My G-free rating – 5/10

South Side Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment