Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Il Locale

Now I'd like to think I know the restaurants in my local area, but I learnt something from a friend (that's not even from Brisbane!).  When he asked me  if I wanted to go to his friend's (now my friend) restaurant, which I thought was Tognini's (one in Rosalie and Spring Hill), I said no sorry, its just deli's and they aren't open for dinner. Boy was I wrong?!! But they do have another restaurant in Rosalie, an Italian one called il Locale, its been open for a year apparently (ooops) and its amazing. 

So we were a bit of a special bunch, me being a glutard, my friend being seafood sensitive and another being vego. The waitress handled us well and ordered us a pretty good selection. Honestly I am glad she ordered for us, cause I just would not have known where to start cause everything look amazing and surprisingly for italian could be made GF. 

For entree we had the polenta chips with truffle mayonnaise ($14), which was delightfully crispy and that rich mayo gave it heaps of flavour. Also had the Sicilian pizza topped with roasted eggplant, capsicum, artichokes, zucchini, tomato and mozzarella on a gluten free base (hallelujah) ($24). I know I always say I regret every time I order something that should be glutenful (i.e. bread, pasta, pizza), but this was surprisingly good.  The base looked home made with a thin crust and didn't have that usual spongy texture that most gf breads have. I even went as far as telling everyone else that it tasted really bad so that I could have it all to my self haha. 
Pizzzzzza
For main I had the buckwheat (yes is is gf) gnocchetti with seasonal greens (peas, asparagus and brocollini), pinenuts, chilli, garlic and salted ricotta ($28). This is hands down the best thing I have eaten in a really long time (i.e. since I became a glutard). If I could make this, I would have this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am not going to say anymore, just try it for yourself. 

Gnocchetti Goodness
Seriously, I don't know what the others had cause I was so wrapped up in the gnocchetti but I do vaguely remember a couple of fresh salad. 

We wanted to order all the desserts, but worried that one would not be able to stop eating like a Labrador, and only ordered 3, the lavender pannacotta, the chocolate fondant and the baked vanilla custard (all $16). Obviously the chocolate fondant was a no go for me, but the other two desserts, wow! The vanilla custard was like a creme caramel (my all time fave dessert) and the lavender pannacotta, tasted like I was eating flowers... in a good way! 

So I am coming back to try everything else on the menu (or everything else that is GF on the menu).

Oh My G-free rating – 9/10



Il Locale on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment