Monday, October 20, 2014

Gerard's Bistro

Now you are probably going to start thinking why I am a talking about a trashy (yet fabulous) TV show, the Bachelor, when this should be a blog about glutard friendly food, but I need to give you guys background on why I decided to go to this restaurant. So this dates back to the very first episode of the Bachelor some months ago, when Blake was first introduced to the 20 or so Bachelorettes. I was watching this episode with a friend and we placed a bet on which girl would win Blake's heart (or at least go the furtherest). This was purely based on shallow first impressions, when the girls stepped out of the limos and where some of them sang, made cocktails, whatever, to impress Bachie. Off these 1 minute introductions I chose the awkward Sam, whilst my friend chose Laurina (#dirtystreetpie). 

You'd have to be living under a rock if you haven't watched, read or heard about about the saga which was the Bachelor this year. Anyway, after a nail biting two months, both our girls got really far (top 6) and Laurina got booted off cause she was actually smart enough to realise that Blake was a douche, and so I won. My girl Sam, even went as far as winning the whole thing (well kinda won, you all know the story)! Woooohoooo!

What was on the line you ask? The looser had to buy the winner a dinner at their choice of a 'fancy' restaurant so I chose Gerard’s Bistro on James Street, a place where I've wanted to go for ages, but just never had (my friend chose Aria, so I am glad I won our else I'd be broke). 

So of course I was going to milk the situation and order EVERYTHING. No I didn't go crazy, but we did order a bit. 

We started off with the Gerard's Yacht Club ($10), which was an aperitif of Aperol, rhubarb gomme, orange bitters, topped with sparkling. The menu told us this was meant consumed before a meal to awaken the palate and arouse appetite.... it kinda tasted like Berocca or some sort of orange flavoured medicine (it did awaken my palate but not in a good way). 

The waiter knew his stuff of the 20+ things on the menu he scrolled down each one listing off what was ok for me to have... which turned out to be quite a bit. And they are very accommodating in making dishes GF if necessary. 

The food here is meant for sharing  and us Glutards know its usually really hard for us to share meals as most restaurants are very limited in their GF choices.  We normally just end up with the most boring meal, whilst the others have their banquet to share and taste! But because of the variety of GF plates, it was easy to share. 

We shared the slow roasted full blood wagyu brisket for two with seasonal accompaniments ($48). The accompaniments being, flat bread (which I obviously avoided), crispy onion and fried spinach, some yoghurt dressing (I know I need to pay more attention when they describe things to me) and a minty salad. Apparently you are meant it eat it like a wrap with the flat bread... as I couldn't I just enjoyed a whole pile of meat which was rubbed in amazing Moroccan-y spices and went prefectly with that yoghurty dressing.


To even out the meat, I ordered a side of coal-grilled broccolini, kale, shallot oil and lemon ($12), which was just a fancier version than the one I make at home. 


I did want to order some potatoes as well (just so I could have something carby), but lucky the waiter had a sly way of saying stop being a fatty, that's enough (i.e. are you guys hungry??). I am glad for it or else there wouldn't have been enough room for dessert....

Cause the dessert was so rich, I couldn't finish mine! I ordered the Jerusalem artichoke, caramelised chocolate, and coffee ($16) (they altered the dessert so that it was GF ). I've never had artichoke sweet, and I think my mind just couldn't get over the fact that they should be on my antipasto platter and not in my dessert. But the caramelised chocolate ganache, OHMYGFree it was amazing, it tasted like a creamy light Nutella (and GF'ers know we can't have Nutella). 


My friend ordered the Turkish apple sorbet, candied walnuts and spiced rum cake ($16). Although I couldn't try the cake, I sneaked some of the sorbet which was sweet and fresh. 

They do breakfast here so I am gonna have to win the Bachelor again next year to come back and try that out :)

Oh My G-free rating – 8/10


Gerard's Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment