Friday, August 1, 2014

Bibesia

I had the pleasure of going to one of my closest friend's wedding in Forrest Beach, FNQ last weekend. A couple of friends and I thought we would make a holiday out of it and do a road trip from Cairns to the beautiful Forrest Beach. The bride to be suggested that we stay one night at Castaways in Mission Beach.  She had totally played it down and told us not to expect much, but it was absolutely beautiful! The view from the hotel room was amazing... I was in paradise (albeit it was cloudy/rainy). 

#FNQPerfection
We got there in the afternoon, whilst some of us napped (after a bender in Cairns the night before) I went for a little explore down the beach, admiring all the coconut trees. By the time I got back it was cocktail time (yes, another cocktail) and we went down to the Bar/Restaurant in the hotel called Bibesia. I ordered the Smashed Kiwi Ninja (kinda sounds racist) ($16), muddled kiwi with vanilla vodka, coconut juice and apple juice. To top it off it came with a blue orchid (anyone that knows me knows I love my garnishes) and it really made me feel like I was on a tropical holiday! 

Smashed Kiwi Ninja
We decided to eat there as well, cause when I called another restaurant that was recommended in town and they said they closed at 9pm (last order 8.30pm)!! But you cant expect that much for a small town, right?

Anyway, Bibesia had an amazing GF selection (they had GF and V labels on the menu), so much so it was really hard to decide what to order. But seeing that I was so close to the ocean, I ordered oysters to share for entree and the fish of the day for main (Spanish Mackerel) which was served grilled with sides of sweet potato wedges and wilted spinach ($28). It was absolutely delish, the fish was so soft and lathered in a lemon butter sauce. 

Here fishy fishy fishy
I think the waitress either hated us (sophisticated city folk) or was just having a shit day, cause the service was absolutely crap. Luckily the menu listed the GF options or it would have been hopeless getting anything off this girl. There was an hour between when we received our entree to our main, and it wasn't even that busy for a Friday night!  But maybe I shouldn't expect too much seeing that most of the wait staff are foreign backpackers! 

We had breakfast there the next morning too (it was included in our stay). The free continental breakfast buffet had no GF options (only fruit) so I ordered a hot breakkie. I lashed out seeing I was on holidays and got the Queenslander big breakfast, with GF bread and all! Though it was the usual tasteless dense G-free bread that you get at most places. I don't know why I bother asking for GF bread sometimes, I always know its going to be shit. I guess I am just hoping one day I'll come across a winner... something that actually tastes like normal bread. 

Queenslandaaaaa
To be honest I wasn't expecting too many GF things available on my holiday at all cause I mean we were in Far North Queensland, but I was pleasantly surprised. Bilbesa had a great selection and even the local Forrest Beach Hotel (where the wedding was) had tasty GF options. 

Oh My G-free rating - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment