Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Mejico

For the past couple of times I've been to Sydney, I've walked past this restaurant called Mejico and always wanted to check it out, but every time I was enticed by somewhere else (namely Jamie's Italian which is pretty much next door). Anyway, when my friend suggested it and told me about this place that has guacamole served with plantain chips, I was sold. Those who know me know I love my plantains, this love happened when I was over in Trinidad and Tobago and that was the only thing I could eat when I was over there, whilst everyone was eating Doubles! Anyway.... 

Mejico is fantastic, and cause ... you picked it, its Mexican, very Glutard friendly. The menu is awesome and all GF plates are label. 

To start we had the guacamole (duhhh) ($14). We had a nice little banter to the waitress about how hard it is to choose a good avocado (in which we had), whilst she literally smashed up all the ingredients, being an avo, chilli, pistachio, coriander, red onion and lime.  Served with my all time favorite plantain chips. For those who don't know what plantains are, they are like big green bananas. Because its made in front of you, you know this is fresh, and damn tasty!
After
Before
We shared all the dishes, although I now wish we didn't have to shares the Corn lollipops, of char grilled corn, chipotle mayo, queso fresco (some kind of latina cheese is my guess), paprika, cumin, shredded coconut and popcorn ($12). Seriously could have just eaten these. 


Twice cooked pork belly ($18), Honey and Guiajillio reduction (don't ask me what that is), pickled cabbage and crispy pigs skin. Now 'crispy pigs skin' does not sound appetising but really its the most accurate way of describing crackling, right?  We also ordered the grilled octopus and chorizo ($28) which was grilled octopus tentacles, with chorizo, potatoes covered in chipotle sauce (nice and spicy). Epazote mushrooms with cheese fundido ($14) of roasted portobello mushrooms with goats cheese, gouda, queso frisco, pepitas (i.e. a shit load of cheese) and balsamic glaze.

Crispy Pig Skin
You know when you go to a restaurant and their mains are so good, you usually expect their desserts to be lacking... well not here! The desserts were amazing... well at least their Flourless Chocolate Cake ($12) was. It was a super dense/rich cake drizzled with Mezcal (a kind of tequila) chocolate sauce , salted caramel ice cream & crushed spiced almonds. When I was eating this, I swore I could taste chilli, though I couldn't pick where it was coming from.... found out it was the nuts which were a bit spicy.
Before 
After

Oh My G-free rating – 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment