Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Nantucket

I've been 'mummy-sitting' this weekend whilst Dad is away and so he kindly offered to shout me a meal so that I could review on Oh My G-free. 

Mum and I went to check out the new Indooroopilly Shopping Center on Saturday, its quite big now (pretty much just like any other shopping center). There are a set of cute cafe/restaurants on the bottom level which I thought we could check out... how wrong was I. Went to look at menus of about 4 places all had no GF options. Yum-Cha, obviously not cause of the wheat in wonton wrappers. French Twist was a no-go... way too glutenous. Coffee Hit, which I thought would be a 'hit', had nothing GF and when I asked the waiter if a salad they had would be ok all he responded with was he "we can't guarantee there wont be traces of wheat, blah blah blah" (story of my life). There was of course a sushi place we could have gone too and also a raw juice bar, but I felt like something more substantial, especially cause Dad was shouting. Hot tip for all you glutards out there, if you go to Indro avoid the 'Gourmet Fresh' area. 

By this time, I was starving (some would say hangry) so I thought we would go to the food court and grab something/anything. Then we came across a new area outside which had a tapas bar, Harajuku Goyza (which I can no longer have, wahhhhhh) and a bar/restaurant called Nantucket

We decided to go to Nantucket as it had quite a few GF options and the interior looked very cute (it has the Hamptons, beach feel). The menu was quite expensive for lunch (actually even for dinner it would be expensive) even though we only ordered a 'Snack' and salad to share. I ordered the crisp fried calamari and jalapeno chilli mayo ($16), cause for those who have read my previous post, GF deep fried goodness is hard to find. Mum ordered the spanner crab and fennel salad with carmalized orange dressing and fresh herbs ($20). 

Greasy Squid
The calamari was disappointing, they must have used old oil as there was a pile of burnt batter with the calamari and there was lots of oil left on the plate (and sorry to gross you guys out, but I was burping calamari for hours after... not pleasant). It had potential to be really nice, cause the calamari was cooked well and wasn't chewy and the jalapeno mayo went really well with it.

The salad had lots of crab which was soft and sweet and it went well with the fennel and orange segments but the dressing was WAY too sweet... it kinda burnt your mouth cause the dressing was way too strong and syrupy.  
Sickly Sweet Salad
The service was so slow (you can imagine how grumpy I was at this point), we ordered at 2 pm (and it wasn't that busy) and it took over 45 mins to get our 2 dishes... don't go here if you are in a rush. The wait staff weren't very friendly either. 

Overall, it's just a place for suburban ladies to lunch and be 'seen'. Not the place for me, I won't be coming back here again. 

Oh My G-free rating – 5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment